Wednesday, October 24, 2007

PlanetMogul.com - New Professional Networking Site For Urban Users

Earlier this year, I made my second run at entrepreneurship. My last consulting firm was developed and launched while I was fully employed and was designed around a singular opportunity that didn't come through. Since I was moonlighting, I never had the time to promote and build my business. Moreover, there weren't nearly the tools there are today to encourage professional networking.


This year, I launched my marketing and communications agency, Nuance Marketing, LLC. As I endeavor to grow my business and brand, I've embraced new mediums such as blogging and networking sites. I set up profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn and Xing.com to promote my business and dabble in new age networking. I was fortunate enough to catch up with some great college friends but no immediate business leads.




PlanetMogul.com launched October 1, 2007 and is an innovative site that brings an aesthetic feel to the networking scene and put a professional twist on the platform.


Membership is free and registration was easy. Upon sign up members are encouraged to create either a personal or business profile and become a "Mogul" (I like being called a Mogul, nice touch). So this is when I really got excited about the functionality, because instead of asking questions about my favorite song or artist, I was asked for a Mission Statement, Areas of Expertise and Affiliations. I was also able to add a Blogger HTML button to link to my blog and upload a portfolio of my work and create a dynamic link to my profile page www.planetmogul.com/Edward06 .

Another unique feature to the site is the wealth of business information that's on the site. There is a diverse collection of success profiles called Moguls on the Move (MOTM). In this group there are Entrepreneurs, Executives, Celebrities, Politicians and Community leaders. The site also plans to host live chats for members with this group. For me it was unique to see the "Makings of a Mogul" for a range of people from Jay-Z to Michael Lee Chin (a true Mogul on billionaire status). It looks like these Moguls On the Move will be posting job opportunities and internships for their organizations. While there are recognized hip-hop moguls, you also have global Moguls like Sir Richard Branson and a number of music industry executives with true industry juice.

Planet Mogul also has an impressive collection of corporate profiles, with HR contact information, CEO Words of Wisdom and information on their corporate culture. Like the MOTM page, the corporations will be posting jobs directly to their profiles on the site.

This gives corporations a chance to recruit for diverse talent among the Planet Mogul membership.

The Education section has a collection of colleges, universities and trade schools with admission requirements and scholarship information.

The organization section for me was one of the highlights. As an Alpha man I was proud to see profiles of historically black greek fraternities and sororities but also much more.

Information on professional affiliations like the National Black MBA, 39 regional Minority Business Development Councils, philanthropies, etc.

There is a wealth of resource information including a Business Corner, Mogul Money (with a real time market watch) and a general lifestyle section and reviews called Mogul Essentials.


PlanetMogul.com will be hitting the road with their Moguls On The Move Tour hitting a number of college locations this winter and also a Mogul Makeover awarded on a quarterly basis to Moguls with the best business profile.

Previously, It took profiles on Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and also a lot of time on Wikipedia in order to do what I did so quickly on PlanetMogul.com.

Important for me is that PlanetMogul.com is owned by Niche Marketing, Inc. an African American woman owned business based in Louisville, Kentucky. Niche Marketing is also the company that produces the Kentucky Derby Grand Gala the elite black celebrity event of the spring.

PlanetMogul.com fills a needed gap in the networking world. Visit the site at http://www.planetmogul.com/ and build a profile. That's another connect point. Also, the next time your brother, sister, or cousin comes to hit you up to promote their "label" or business, send them to PlanetMogul.com, it's free.

PlanetMogul.com has a sound theme for their membership campaign, simply put as "Build the Planet". Let's show our support for a site that's created to showcase this generation of Moguls that reflects the diversity of our urban experience.

No comments:

Check Me Out on LinkedIn

View Edward Cates's profile on LinkedIn