Thursday, August 14, 2008

RSS Changed My Life: Urban America Don't Sleep! Get a Reader


RSS Feeds and Readers have been around a long while and I know it. I consider myself technology forward. But today, I sadly and triumphantly admit I finally came to understand what the orange box is for. I've been sleepin' on RSS Feeds and Readers. My game is officially slipping (newsflash).

What is a RSS Feed and RSS Reader? Two words: Neat-O. RSS is a way to bring web content from the sites you love to visit in one place with real time updates. Instead of visiting 4-5 sites to read the latest stories to browse the web. You simply open your reader and read the well organized content in one place.

I had a cursory understanding and was tired of scouring the net and seeing the cryptic RSS with the signature orange box and needed a better grasp. I had a feeling it would make my life easier so I wanted to invest time in mastering this new resource.

I have found myself using YouTube lately more for Computer Based Training than for entertainment. I went to my local training resource YouTube and found this great clip "Video: RSS in Plain English".







In 3:44 seconds the light bulb went off and thanks to the description (and an artistic low-tech presentation) plain terms I understood the concept. I already had a Google Reader account setup but hadn't subscribed. Setting up a reader account is easy and there are number of readers available. I prefer Google Reader (http://www.google.com/reader) for it's ease of use and pervasive integration.


RSS Feeds and Readers will change the way you browse the web. It's cooler than the other side of the pillow and as life changing as sugar added Kool-Aid mix.

Check out the video on RSS Feeds, sign up for a reader and then subscribe to this blog as one of your first RSS subscriptions.


by Edward Cates


Did this help you understand RSS Feeds? Got any other RSS tips? Leave a comment and subscribe.



No comments:

Check Me Out on LinkedIn

View Edward Cates's profile on LinkedIn