Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History Unfolds: President Barack Obama


The youngest of my three son’s started my day today saying, “Good morning Daddy. Barack Obama will be our next President.”


I can’t remember a more impactful and inspiring good morning greeting. On November 4, 2008 my country elected an amazing man to be President. President Elect Barack Obama has a distinguished education, a passionate commitment to community and country, proud father and husband, moving orator and compelling policy maker.


As a father, husband and business owner I am inspired by the direction our nation is going with Obama at the helm. I can relate more than ever with “First Lady” to be Michelle Obama’s campaign statement about initial pride. Not because I have never been proud of our country or our accomplishments before. Rather, through this campaign and process, I feel like this is as much my country as anyone else.

As a black man, this accomplishment shakes the foundation of so many of my thoughts on patriotism, citizenship, service and the condition of the dialogue on race. I have gained a new sense of ownership in this country that previously existed more faintly in the periphery.

As a black father, a new path to opportunity has been blazed for my three sons. The ceiling on achievement and “what could be” has been lifted. For centuries black parents have redirected our children’s hope for the Presidency toward more realistic opportunities. “There’s always work at the Post Office. Get a good government job. Get enough education so you can teach.” All of these recommendations for a career provide a framework to ensure an equal playing field for minorities.


Last night my family assembled at a viewing party for a time. Later into the night as results rolled in we were in our home watching and feeling like we made history together. My wife and I pulled out champagne flutes from our wedding gift shelf and toasted a new day for our children, our family and our country.

It was like New Years eve, talking to family and friends about what was happening for our country. One of my “light skinned” friends, Rob (he’s really white) called and shared how deeply it impacted him. Rob and his wife have an adopted Chinese daughter, along with their own kids and mirrored the hopes we have for something more for the next generation. Rob has a wicked sense of humor and for a moment, his call felt like a congratulations and for me it felt like it deserved a proud “We did it.”

95% support of black voters turned out. I’m so proud of that statistic. White voters also did their part. Black voters equate to 10-15% of the U.S. Population (approximately), so we know that it was truly a collective effort. Obama won Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida as key battleground states. Obama will go down in history as running one of the best Presidential campaigns in history. His use of the internet and technology helped to tap into an incredible stream of donors, volunteers and supporters.

There are things I’ve heard and have said today that still send chills down my spine:


“President Obama/President Elect Obama”

“First Black President”
“First Black First Lady”

“First Black First Family”
“Black family in the White House”

“Return of Camelot to the White House”

“Obama won Virginia the former seat of the Confederacy”

“Michelle Obama First Lady of the United States of America”

“That’s my President.”

“I’m so proud of our country.”
“We did it.”

“Change is coming.”


Never before have I, and my family been so inspired, felt so included and with a connection to the greatness that is the United States of America. Our ancestors are smiling with expectations of greatness as we move our country forward to make more history together.


Today I woke up a little earlier. I've laughed and smiled a lot more. I feel an unparalleled pride in what we accomplished.

*The title of this post was changed in deference to the similarly titled, brilliant essay "In Our Lifetime" by distinguished Harvard Professor and historian Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

1 comment:

EL OBISPO said...

Is possible that you like to visit our blog in wich we are talking about Obama.

Check Me Out on LinkedIn

View Edward Cates's profile on LinkedIn